Replace those chips with a touch of sweetness! These Mini Sweet Pepper Nachos are the perfect way to use up some leftover taco meat (or go meat-free), and still indulge that nacho craving, but with a gluten-free, low-carb option!
Mini Sweet Pepper Nachos whaaa? Welcome, friends to one of our favorite "accidents" from the archives! We first made these nachos back in 2014 and since then have just kept improving them until they've become not only a favorite low carb dinner, but also one of our absolute favorite ways to use leftover taco meat!
One of the best parts of these nachos is how customizable they are! The possibilities are endless!
- Mini Sweet Peppers - Your base! Chips, who?
- Leftover Taco Meat - These nachos are one of my favorite ways to use some leftover taco meat - or you can make a fresh batch with our Homemade Taco Seasoning!
- Black Beans and Corn - We love to mix this with the leftover meat, but you could absolutely also just use black beans and corn and make these some vegetarian nachos!
- Fresh Tomatoes - Romas are always our favorite for nachos, but these nachos could also be a great way to use some leftover Fresh Pico de Gallo!
- Black Olives - Or your other favorite nacho topping!
- Cilantro - To top with.
- Spices - When we use some of our leftover taco meat, we will heat it up with the beans and corn in a skillet and then will add a little extra cumin and paprika.
Did I mention how customizable these are? You can basically just take whatever you normally like on your nachos, and swap in the mini sweet peppers for your chips for these Mini Sweet Pepper Nachos!
Step 1: Prep those mini sweet peppers by just giving them a slice in half lengthwise and cleaning out the seeds.
Step 2: Assemble!
Pile those mini sweet peppers on a baking sheet to start assembling the nachos. Our favorite way is to one layer of the halved peppers, add the taco meat, corn, and beans, and then add a layer of fresh diced tomatoes (or Pico) and sliced olives, before adding a thin layer of cheese.
Repeat and then top with even more cheese.
Step 3: Bake and top with some fresh cilantro.
Just 10 minutes in the oven at 350, and we had some tasty little Mini Sweet Pepper Nachos bites!
Chips, who? Did you even notice? My girls don't miss them when they have these nachos, and I'm happy to make them for them often!
Mini Sweet Pepper Nachos, your low carb, what do I do with my leftovers, healthy, hearty dinner!
Add: Some sliced jalapenos, shredded lettuce, or refried beans!
Cheese: Use Monterey Jack, Cheddar, asadero and queso quesadilla, mozzarella, or a blend of all of any!
Mini Sweet Pepper Nachos
- 1 - 1 1/2 lb mini sweet peppers sliced lengthwise in half and seeds removed
- 1 cup corn fresh, canned, or frozen.
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 1/2 -2 cups leftover taco meat see notes to make your own
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup black olives sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat leftover taco meat in a skillet with beans, corn, paprika, cumin, and salt. Stir to mix and cook for 3-4 minutes until meat is fully heated.
- Line baking sheet with 1/2 of the mini peppers and then spoon on taco meat, bean, and corn mixture. Add fresh tomatoes (or pico), sliced olives, and 1/3 shredded cheese. Repeat with remaining peppers, meat mixture, tomatoes, olives, and cheese.
- Add to oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and pepper are softened.
- Top with fresh cilantro and enjoy!