Ahh Banana Pecan Muffins. In case you didn't already know, my husband and I love bananas. We each eat one every single morning. Therefore, we always have bananas in the house because together, we go through 14 bananas in a week. At least. Sometimes, my studly husband will eat two. Maybe three in one day. I know. The man loves bananas. It's bananas (sorry, I couldn't resist).
Anywho, 14 bananas in a week. This means we're buying them at least a few times through out the week because you can't just buy over a dozen bananas on Sunday to last until the next Sunday, especially when you have a husband who has a preference for a slightly firm, under-ripe, twinge of green banana. It just doesn't work. But sometimes I try. I try just hoping that if I buy them green enough it'll work and I won't need to make banana runs in the middle of the week. But, it never does. And what usually ends up happening is that we have a bunch of over ripe bananas and I still need to go to the store to buy more less ripe bananas. Luckily, this amazing soft serve banana ice cream has come into our lives which means we not only have a use for these bananas now, but we have an incentive to buy even more! But this past Sunday, I found myself with, yet again, some over ripe bananas that needed to be used. And my studly husband was flying out in the morning to do some on site meetings out of state, and since he started traveling for work, I started baking him a flight treat to take with him. Last time it was Rosemary Lemon Scones, and so this time, since ice cream wouldn't work, I decided on these banana muffins.I found a super easy recipe using the bananas and pecans which I just happened to have. The recipe said though to only fill the tin half way... but there was so much batter that I filled them all of the way and crossed my fingers.
Yum. These muffins were not super sweet at all so you could totally taste the banana flavor. They were nice and moist and soft with the perfect little pecan crunch.
They turned out to be a great flight snack for Dan and a great snack to bring to a work meeting. Our list of delicious banana treats is only going mean we keep buying more and more to make these Banana Pecan Muffins!
- 12 Cup Muffin Tin
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Fold in the nuts and the mashed bananas with a rubber spatula. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins to fill them. Give them a rap on the counter to get any air bubbles out.
- In a separate large bowl, mash the bananas, but leave a little bit of texture in the bananas. Add the sugar, and then use a fork or an electric mixer to whisk in the sugar. Really whisk it all together well - if using a hand mixer, for at least 2 minutes.
- Add the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla and continue to beat well. scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana and egg mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Fold in the pecans and add to a lined muffin tin.
- Bake until a toothpick stuck in the muffins comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before turning the muffins out to finish cooling on a wire rack.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!