Did you know you can make your own, delicious, indulgent, and crave worthy Nutella From Scratch? It’s surprisingly easy to make with raw hazelnuts and chocolate and it’s incredibly delicious and close to the classic we all know and love!
Ok, you know what’s the best / worst idea in the world? Making homemade Nutella, obviously the best. However, making homemade Nutella during Lent when you’ve given up sweets?! Worst. >sob< Back to the best idea in the world… making Nutella, the delicious delicious hazelnut chocolatey goodness, is actually incredibly easy!
The ingredients that you need are all pretty common, the two big necessary ingredients being hazelnuts and chocolate.
- Raw Hazelnuts – You can find these in the bulk section of a grocery store. Most bulk hazelnuts still have their skins on and so after you toast them you can rub them off, but if you can find skinned hazelnuts, those are best!
- Cocoa Powder – Unsweetened
- Chocolate Chips – You can you use any brand or kind that you would like – just make sure it’s something that’ll melt nicely. I personally like milk chocolate chips, but you can also use semi-sweet.
Also, did you know you can make your own Vanilla Extract From Scratch??
It’s a little added effort compared to twisting open a jar, but it’s a fun project, especially with kids! Plus, as always, the benefit of making your own from scratch means you know exactly what’s in your jar!
The first step is to toast the hazelnuts. This will help bring out their nutty flavor and it will also help you remove some of the skins if you were unable to find hazelnuts with the skins already removed.
Next, melt your chocolate in a double boiler or microwave and let it cool completely.
Then add your hazelnuts to a food processor (this is our favorite!) and grind until it starts to form a paste.
Add the rest of your ingredients and blend until smooth,
before finally adding the cooled melted chocolate and giving a good final blend.
Until you have this creamy dreamy chocolately hazelnut spread!
Into a jar and you have your very own Nutella From Scratch!
Happy Fiesta Friday!
Nutella from Scratch
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 12 ounces chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil such as canola
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt more or less depending upon your preference
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 12 minutes, until they’ve browned a little and the skins are blistered a little. Wrap them in a kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove as much loose skin as possible. (Some skin will cling to the nuts when you’re done. It’s okay—not to mention inevitable.) Let cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan over gently simmering water or in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Let cool completely.
- In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts until they form a paste. Add the oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt and continue processing until the mixture is as smooth as possible-or as smooth as you like. Add the melted chocolate, blend well, and then strain the mixture to remove any chunks of hazelnut that remain. The resulting homemade Nutella will be thin and somewhat runny and maybe even a little warm but it will thicken as it cools.
- Scrape your homemade nutella into a jar or other resealable container and let it cool to room temperature. Cover. The nutella will keep on the counter for up to 2 weeks.