It's a new favorite quick and easy, Asian-inspired noodle dish that's super simple to make and ready super fast! Our 20 Minute Veggie Noodles are the latest, flavor-packed way we get a vegetable-packed, kid-loved dinner on the table quickly!
It's our new favorite quick and easy vegetarian dinner! You all know we love a quick and easy noodle recipe around here, and our new 20 Minute Veggie Noodles fits that bill! Asian inspired with a ton of umami, this dish is one that my 5-year-old raved over so much, she wanted it packed for lunch for school, too. Plus, it's a meatless meal that even the meat lover in your house will love or it's easy enough to add in your favorite protein!
Using your favorite rice noodles, a quick and easy sauce, and then a rainbow of veggies, you have dinner served in 20 with this one. Or, make it ahead to meal prep for the week or store it in the freezer for an even faster quick, and easy meal!
- Noodles - Use your favorite Asian noodle, or even fresh homemade pasta, too. We've made this with lo mein noodles, rice noodles, and soba noodles. Totally up to your preference. Just note that a thicker noodle will have a longer cook time, and always follow the instructions on the package.
- Veggies - Our favorites for this recipe are carrot, celery, red bell pepper, snow peas, yellow, and green onions. But totally customizable to your taste.
- Garlic and Ginger - The aromatics of the dish.
- Soy Sauce - We use regular soy sauce. We've made this dish with light / low sodium soy sauce, and we definitely prefer it with the regular.
- Hoisin - One of my absolute favorite ingreidents for an Asian sauce becuase of the sweet and salty component it brings. Plus, it's so easy to make your own!
- Oyster Sauce - This dark, thick sauce is full of umami and has a savory, tangy flavor. Plus, despite the name, you can have an oyster sauce that's vegetarian, which is what we typically use. This sauce is made from oyster (and other) mushrooms, which actually have very similar umami flavor to real oysters.
- Peanut Oil - You could also add a sesame flavor and use sesame oil, or keep it completely neutral with a vegetable or canola oil.
- Cornstach - Just a little to help thicken the sauce.
Easy to Make
As with all of our weeknight go-to meals, this recipe is incredibly easy.
Step 1: Put on a pot of water for the noodles.
Step 2: Prep your veggies.
Step 3: Prep your sauce.
Step 4: Saute veggies.
By this time, your noodles should be ready to go.
Step 5: Add your sauce and the noodles and sauce them together for a few minutes.
Topped with some fresh green onions and dinner is done!
Umami flavored sauce that has just a subtle hint of sweetness mixed with tons of fresh veggies and it's a 20 Minute Veggie Noodles dinner for the win!
Other Asian-Inspired Noodles
- 20 Minute Sweet and Spicy Noodles
- 15 Minute Garlic Noodles
- Sesame Soba Noodle Salad
- Beef and Spinach Noodles
- Miso Spinach and Mushroom Soba Noodles
One of the best parts of this quick and easy noodle recipe is that it's so customizable.
- Use your favorite veggies! While red bell pepper and snow peas are our favorites in this dish, we also love to make these noodles using some veggies we have in the fridge that need to be used. Mushrooms and zucchinis are great additions, too!
Add a Protein! Add some chicken, tofu, or even shrimp to this dish by cooking it with the onion and ginger. See recipe notes.
Make it Saucier! Double the sauce if you want a saucier lo mein-like noodle dish. And especially if you add a protein or more veggies.
20 Minute Veggie Noodles
- 10-12 oz noodles rice or wheat
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 red pepper julienned
- 1 large carrot julienned
- 6 oz snow peas
- 1 cup celery sliced at an angle
- 1/4 cup green onion diced
- Add a large pot of water to stove and heat on high.
- Heat peanut oil in a large saute pan or wok, on medium. Add onion and ginger to hot oil and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the garli and rest of the veggies, stir, and saute for 8-10 minutes or until veggies are softened.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin, and cornstarch.
- When the water comes to a boil, add noodles and cook for 6 minutes, or however long the noodle package states. If using fresh noodles, only a couple of minutes.
- Once noodles are done, drain into a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Add sauce to the pan, saute for a minute to heat before adding noodles, using tongs to coat noodles and veggies in the sauce. Saute for another few minutes until everything is well combined/coated.
- Top with green onions and serve!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!