These Copycat Butterfinger Candy Bites are a healthier, corn syrup free, easy to make, delicious little bite of your favorite candy bar!
Guess what's around the corner?!? Just the one holiday that M's been talking about since last year when she got her first "candy bucket." Obviously this time of year is all about candy, which means that I'm thinking about how to make them from scratch and at home. One of my husband's favorite candies? Butterfingers. These Copycat Butterfinger Candy Bites are my healthier, bite sized take on this classic candy!
Does it get any easier than 6 ingredients that most you probably already have in your pantry!
- Organic Cane Sugar - You can use granulated sugar, too!
- Peanut butter - Have you made your own Peanut Butter From Scratch yet?!
- Wheat flakes - This is what gives it the classic Butterfinger crunch! I like to use Cascadia Farm Organic Raisin Bran and just pick put the raisins or you can use a straight Wheat Bran or even just regular corn flakes.
- Semi-sweet Baker's Chocolate - for that delicious chocolate coating.
- Raw Honey
- Kosher salt - just a touch!
Easy to Make!
Just heat the honey and sugar in a saucepan, add the peanut butter and wheat flakes and give a good mix! Transfer it to the freezer for about 10 minutes and then form into balls, and pop them back in the freezer to let them set.
About 20 minutes later, start a double boiler and melt that semi-sweet bakers chocolate (or you can use a microwave, too). When it's in it's melty chocolately glory, dip those peanut butter balls in and give them a good coat and then return them to the freezer to set again!
This is my favorite part of this recipe. You can make them bite sized and then control the portion! Ok, ok, I understand that even if you make small little portions, you can still eat 15 of them. However, as a mom of a 3 year old who just wants a piece of candy, I'm usually reaching for the smallest piece I can when it's store bought. But with these, I feel comfortable giving her this bowl and just letting her pick her own!
Other Favorite Candy Recipes
With all of these candies, I have to say that These. Are. My. Favorite.
I mean really, what's better than peanut butter and chocolate together? Only a little added crunch that these little Homemade Butterfinger Candy Bites have!
If you try your hand at any candy this Halloween season, friends, trust me. This is the one! No, they don't have the exact same orange-ish color and they're not an exact replica, but again, they're a healthier option that I know exactly what's in it. My ultimate goal is for my kiddos to prefer these homemade versions over the originals!
Copycat Butterfinger Candy Bites
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 3 tablespoons raw cane sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 1/3 cup wheat flakes* see note
- pinch kosher salt
- 6 oz semi-sweet baker's chocolate 1 1/2 packages
- In a small saucepan, add honey and sugar on medium heat. Stir continuously and bring to a boil. Continue to stir continuously and let boil for 1 minute.
- Add peanut butter and salt and continue to stir until well combined then remove from heat.
- Add corn flakes and mix well, crushing as you mix. Transfer to bowl and chill in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, roll out small 2 inch balls of the peanut butter mixture, and place on cookie sheet. Approx 16. Set a little bit aside on the tray not formed for crumbling and sprinkling on top of balls.
- Return to freezer and chill for at least another 20 minutes.
- Close the the 20 min mark, start a double boiler and heat a saucepan with a glass bowl over it. Add baker chocolate and melt. Or heat baker's chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for high on 30 seconds. Stir and heat for another 30 seconds until all the chocolate is melted.
- Add a cooking rack to another cookie sheet. Then dip balls into chocolate and coat. Use a fork to shake excess chocolate and then place on rack. While chocolate is still melted, sprinkle some crumbled frozen peanut butter mixture on top. Continue for all balls and then return to freezer for another 10 minutes for chocolate to set.
- Enjoy! Store in freezer.