Instant Pot Pork Verde is an easy flavorful meal of tender pork cooked in a fresh, flavorful salsa verde. Perfect to serve with tortillas or rice, this hearty gluten-free Mexican stew is one that can be made fast in your pressure cooker or you can set it and forget it in your crock pot!
Remember that uber-fresh Salsa Verde we made? Confession, its only purpose was to add some from scratch flair to one of my husband's favorite meals. Hence, our (newly updated from a post from 2016), Instant Pot Pork Verde! No pressure cooker? No problem - this is great in your trusty Crock Pot, too!
What is Pork Verde?
Pork Chile Verde is a Mexican stew of tender pork cooked in a green chili salsa. It can be moderate - hot on the spice scale, getting its heat from the chilis used. I'm sure you've seen it on the menu of any taqueria you've visited as it's an extremely popular dish that once you try, it's hard not to understand why.
What's even better about this tender pork dish is that it can be served in a variety of ways! While it's great in burritos and tacos, it can also be served with rice or a side of beans. That means it's a meal that can be stretched and made new each time you serve it!
- Pork - Pork loin or shoulder is best for this recipe. And you can use bone in or boneless, it'll be cut it into chunks.
- Salsa Verde - While of course you can use your favorite jarred option, for a truly authentic pork verde, making your own is so so easy and so incredibly delicious!
- Onion and Garlic - Staples in our cooking!
- Jalapeno - This is what'll add some heat to this Mexican stew! We like to add at least 1/2 - whole jalapeno with the seeds removed to add some mild heat and great flavor. You can always knock it up a notch by adding the seeds of the jalapeno, too!
- Cumin - Just a touch for a little more flavor - but really most of it is coming from your fresh salsa verde.
- Cilantro - To add to the sauce and to finish with.
- Salt and Pepper - To season the pork.
The first step, and one that adds a ton of flavor so you don't want to skip it, is searing the pork. Quick and easy with the garlic and onions to add some caramelized flavor.
This can be done in the instant pot on the saute option or if you're cooking this in a crock pot, it can be done in batches in a skillet on the stovetop. However, if you want a set it and forget it kind of a meal with your crock pot, it's a step you can skip - you'll still have a tasty meal.
Dump and Go
Then it's just a matter of dump-and-go of the rest of the ingredients and you're ready to set it and forget it either on a pressure cook mode or to slow cook.
Your house will smell amazing once this soft, tender, fall about pork in an incredibly flavorful chili verde is done!
Serve It With
- Fresh Corn Tortillas
- Fresh Flour Tortillas
- Fresh Pico de Gallo
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Mexican Corb Ribs
Enjoy! As always, if you make this recipe or any of my others, I love to hear what you think! Leave a comment below, email me, or you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
If you want to see more, be sure to sign up for my 5 Easy Ways to Start Cooking From Scratch!
Instant Pot Pork Verde
- Instant Pot
- or Crock Pot
- 3 lbs boneless pork loin or shoulder, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups Salsa Verde
- 1 jalapeno halved with seeds removed and then sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- Season cubed pork with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and set to saute. Adjust to the highest setting and let it heat up for 4-5 minutes. Add cubed pork and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add onions, garlic, cumin, jalapeno, and salsa verde. Seal pressure cooker, bring to high pressure, and once ready, cook for 25 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally.
- Remove pork and sauce from pot top and with sour cream, cheese, fresh cilantro. Serve with fresh corn tortillas, over rice, wiht your favorite chips, or in burritos!
Vicky @ Avocado Pesto
This sounds incredible! I can already smell the deliciousness. Have never made green salsa before so need to give that a go as well!
Thank you so much, Vicky! 😀
YUM!!! Ok again...YUM! This looks incredible! Plus I love the ease of a crockpot! Trying this for sure!
Haha thanks so much, Nellie! 🙂
What a light and wonderful crock pot creation! We love salsa verde and this looks like a perfect combination!
Thanks so much!
The Food Hunter
This pork looks delicious and it is so easy to make
Thank you! It is 🙂
munchies and munchkins
Oh i love a crockpot (or slow cooker as we call them) recipe. This sounds delicious.
Thank you! 😀