This creamy, flavorful Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala is the perfect way to break out of a chicken dinner rut and add in a ton of spice and flavor!
You guys. I have a new one for you that I'm super excited about. This Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala is so good. Like so good I may have eaten the leftovers for breakfast the next day, kind of good.
We were in kind of a chicken rut and I was starting to get bored with our regular go-tos: Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Tacos (we make this probably once a week), Mediterranean Grilled Chicken, and Garlic Honey Chicken Thighs. And then my brother and future sister-in-law were visiting and they told us about an all-you-can-eat Indian buffet that they go to in Minneapolis and I realized my life had been devoid of delicious Indian flavors for way too long. Enter this Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala!
This dish has soooo much flavor!
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Plain whole yogurt - BTW, did you know you can make your own?!
- Crushed tomatoes
- Fresh ginger and garlic
- Heavy whipping cream
- Kosher salt
- Spice Mixture of : turmeric, cayenne, coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, gram masala
- Fresh cilantro
- Butter and olive oil
The key to this recipe is allowing the chicken to marinate with the yogurt, salt, and half of the spices for at least 20 minutes. The yogurt will tenderize the chicken while the spices start doing their thing.
After it's marinated then it's just a matter of heating butter in a large saucepan, add the spices, garlic, and ginger giving them just a quick cook until your kitchen smells incredible. Then add the tomatoes, and cook until it thickens.
In a separate pan, you'll cook your chicken, pulling the chicken out of the yogurt marinade. Don't just dump the whole bowl in the pan, you don't want all of the yogurt, just whatever's stuck on your chicken.
Add that cream and cilantro to your sauce, let it cook another few minutes until it's nice and creamy and then stir in your chicken!
And you're done!
Serve it on top of some white rice or with naan and with a crisp, dry white wine and chicken rut be gone!
Seriously. SO flavorful with just the right amount of kick and spice! If you like a milder flavor- add just a touch more heavy cream, it'll cut that spice down a little bit. M loved it just the way it was!
Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 2 lbs
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 cup whole yogurt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons smoke paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoon gram masala
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped + some for garnish
- Cut chicken into 2 inch chunks.
- Mix spices (except salt) in a small bowl.
- Whisk salt with yogurt and then half of the spice mixture. Add chicken and coat. Cover and let marinate for at least 20 minutes in fridge.
- Open crushed tomatoes and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add the rest of the spice mix stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Add ginger, and garlic and stir constantly for another 30 seconds and then immediately add tomatoes so nothing burns.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer, stirring often until it begins to thicken, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add cream and chopped cilantro and let simmer until thickened. About another 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat olive oil and using tongs or a fork, add chicken, shaking off some of the marinade before it enters the pan. Cook chicken until cooked through, 7- 10 minutes.
- Add chicken to saucepan and stir to coat and mix well.
- Serve over rice or with naan and garnish with more fresh cilantro.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!