This Cherry Pecan Galette is a wonderful way to use some summer fresh cherries. A simple, buttery, flaky crust topped with a sweet cherry pecan filling, what's not to love? It is sure to be one of your new favorite summer cherry desserts!
Welcommeee Summer! Fresh cherries, and especially fresh picked cherries define summer for me here in Pacific NW. And while we're still staying home, cherry picking is the perfect social distancing activity. Plus, is there anything better than fresh cherries? Yes, this Cherry Pecan Galette!
What is a Galette?
A Galette is a French pastry that is basically like a flat, free formed, rustic pie that uses just one pie crust. In French is literally means "Flat Cake." And what's best about these "cakes" is that their very imperfections, the rustic "I just threw it together" look is part of their charm and their appeal. Which makes it perfect for when you want a pie, but also want to do a little less work. It is also known as a Crostata in Italian baking - both refer to basically the same beautiful flat fresh fruit cake.
Ingredients Needed: Pastry
The first thing you'll need to make is your dough. Or you could totally use a pre-made one if you're strapped for time, that works well too! But having a nice easy buttery, flaky bread dough recipe is pretty clutch to just have. And this one is ours!
- All purpose flour
- Butter - either salted or unsalted. We often use salted because it's what we mostly have on hand. But either will work, if you use unsalted, just add another 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Kosher salt
- Chilled water
How to Make
Making the dough itself is fairly simple.
First: Sift the flour and salt.
Second: Cut in the cold, cubed butter. The easiest way is to use a pastry cutter, but you could also use your fingers to crumble it up into the flour. But again, a pastry cutter is the best - this one is our favorite.
Third: Make a well in your buttered flour and then add the water. At first it will seem like you don't have enough water, but keep going utnil you have a dough ball. Then you'll wrap it in plastic and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Ingredients Needed: Cherry Filling
While your pie dough is chilling, you can make your filling, the heart of the galette.
- Fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- Chopped pecans
- Brown sugar
- Fresh lemon zest and juice
Making the filling is as easy as pitting the cherries (here's a great cherry pitter) and then mixing the other ingredients with them!
Then it's just rolling out the dough into a large circle, adding the cherry mixture to the center, and the folding in the edges of the dough over the cherry mixture.
The best part - no need to worry about your folding skills. Unlike lattice work on a traditional pie, the more "rustic" looking the better on a galette!
Give it a little egg wash and then an extra sprinkle of sugar and you're ready to bake!
Ahhh imperfect perfection.
SO delicious. A buttery, flaky crust with a sweet, subtly acidic, center with the perfect crunch from the pecans.
Our Other Favorite Summer Desserts
It's ok - keep kneading it! Resist adding more water. It will form.
No problem - that just means it was over chilled. But it can be fixed. Just take a rolling pin and slowly try to roll it out, flip it, and repeat. It will feel impossible at first but as it starts to warm up, it will loosen. Be sure to flour your rolling pin and do it on a floured surface or on the parchment paper.
At least 1/4 to 1/8.
Yes. You can make it 24 hrs in advance and store in the fridge.
So even though life feels anything but normal, the tastes of summer still can, and this Cherry Pecan Galette is one of our new favorites!
Cherry Pecan Galette
- 1 lb cherries pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 stick butter salted or unsalted, see notes
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled water
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or muscovado sugar or brown sugar
- 1 egg for egg wash
Make Pastry Dough
- Cut butter into cubes and return to fridge.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Add cubed butter and with a pastry cutter cut in chilled butter until most of the butter is cut in - not so that it's fully crumbled and all uniform, just so that it's mostly incorporated.
- Make a well in the flour butter mixture and add chilled water. Slowly mix in to a dough. It will be shaggy at first and it will feel very dry but keep kneading it and it will form. Form it into a ball and then wrap dough in plastic wrap and then chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Prep Cherry Filling
- Mix pitted cherries with all other filling ingredients and mix well. You can make this up to 24 hrs in advance and store in fridge.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove parchment paper from baking sheet and add to counter. Roll out dough on parchment paper into a 1/4 to 1/8 inch circle.
- Add cherry filling to center of the dough and then fold up edges of the dough so they just start to cover the filling. The more "rustic" the better - don't worry about if it's uneven.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl and brush folded over edges of the galette with egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until edges of the galette are browned.
- Serve immediately and top with ice cream!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!