These Garlic and Gruyere Roasted Asparagus are an incredibly easy side dish to make that's full of flavor from fresh garlic and cheese!
Ahh, asparagus. It was, and still is, one of my favorite vegetables. I used to get sooo excited when my mom would make asparagus and because it was pretty pricey for us, it was such a treat. It still is, especially my new favorite: Garlic and Gruyere Roasted Asparagus.
While my mom used to (and still) makes her asparagus (that I still love) in the microwave, this recipe is for baked asparagus and is just as easy but just done in the oven! Plus, you can totally adjust it for your cheese preferences!
Simple and fresh. Does it get much better?
- Fresh asparagus - Fresh is really key. While frozen is great for a lot of recipes, when you're going to roast it, you really want fresh.
- Fresh Garlic - A staple in our house. You could also use a pre-minced if that's all you have.
- Fresh Gruyere - Or another nice hard, nutty cheese like a Fontina and Parmesan. What makes gruyere special though is that it's also a touch sweet and wonderfully melty.
- Onion Powder and Salt - For added flavor!
How to Roast Asparagus
Roasting Asparagus is one of the easiest ways to prepare asparagus. And it is so easy!
Step 1: Trim the asparagus.
Now there are few different methods. The easiest and most obvious is to just line 'em up and take a knife to them and cut off the ends. But really, what's the reason for trimming the ends? It's to get rid of the tough and fibrous ends. Now if you just take a knife to them, how can you be sure you've gotten all of the tough parts?
That's why instead of cutting the method that we use instead is we snap the ends off. This means that taking a few stalks of asparagus at a time and just snapping the ends off where they naturally snap. Let the asparagus tell you where they're too fibrous!
Step 2: Quickly cook the garlic, oil, onion powder, salt, and pepper
Step 3: Pour that oil and garlic over the asparagus, top with some fresh grated gruyere.
Step 4: Roasted in the oven and done!
So delicious and wonderfully al dente. No mushy asparagus here! Cheesy and garlicky, how can you go wrong?
Garlic and Gruyere Roasted Asparagus
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus trimmed and cleaned
- 5-6 cloves garlic peeled and sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh grated gruyere cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Clean and trim asparagus and line in a wide baking dish or sheet, single layered.
- In a small pan on medium-low heat, heat olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour oil and garlic mixture evenly over asparagus and sprinkle with cheese.
- Roast for 12 minutes until asparagus is cooked and al dente.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!