Take the worry out of eating raw cookie dough with this delicious option! Made in minutes and without refined sugar, these Healthy Edible Cookie Dough Bites are a fun bite-sized, easy-to-make, sweet treat!
Where are my cookie dough lovers at? I mean c'mon, who doesn't love cookie dough? What's not to love though, is the risk of the raw egg from eating true raw cookie dough. That's why we came up with a solution, these Healthy Edible Cookie Dough Bites! It's everything you love from homemade raw cookie dough, but made safer by eliminating the raw egg, and made a little healthier with coconut oil, no added refined sugar, and our signature SFS nutritious sneak-ins!
These little cookie dough bites are super fast to make and are the perfect little sweet treat for the lunchbox! But they'll never know they're eating chia seeds and flaxseed, too! Even better, these little bites are easily made vegan by using a vegan-friendly chocolate chip!
Simple, whole, healthy ingredients - standard for all our snacks from scratch!
- Flour - We use all purpose, but you can absolutely make these gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour!
- Maple Syrup - Our go-to natural sweetener. It must be the New Englander in me.
- Coconut Oil - Just enough to bind it all together. You could use butter as well, but coconut oil is definitely the healthier option.
- Vanilla Extract - Have you made your own, yet?
- Chia Seeds and Ground Flaxseed - It wouldn't be a SFS recipe if we didn't sneak some extra nutirtion in! Both chia seeds and flaxseed are packed full of fiber, protien, and nutrients! They don't affect the taste at all, and no one will even notice they're in there!
- Mini Chocolate Chips - Use your favorite brand, and if you want to keep them vegan, these are our favorite vegan chocolate chips!
- Salt - Just a teeny tiny pinch.
Risk of Eating Raw Flour
While we've always been warned that the biggest danger of eating raw cookie dough is the raw egg, in recent years, there have been reported contaminated flours.
Therefore, the CDC does not recommend consuming raw, uncooked flours. While the risk is very very low, it is worth mentioning and you should always stay aware of any foodborne outbreaks.
To Eliminate Risk, you heat your flour to 165 degrees. You can do this by popping it in your microwave, heat for 30 seconds and mix, heat for another 30 seconds, and mix, and heat for a final 30 seconds. This should bring your flour up to 165 degrees. You can use an instant-read thermometer to be sure. You can also heat it in a 350-degree oven for a few minutes.
Easy to Make
Not only are these little bites healthier (and safer) than regular raw cookie dough, they're a snack from scratch that's made in just minutes.
Step 1: Mix dry ingredients.
Step 2: Add oil and maple syrup and mix.
Step 3: Fold in your chocolate chips.
Step 4: Rolled out into little bites!
Total time for these Healthy Edible Cookie Dough Bites, 5 minutes. So fast. So easy. SO delicious!
They're ready to eat immediately, but we also like to pop 'em in the fridge or freezer to harden them up a little too. Totally up to you.
The hardest part? Resisting eating it all. The kiddos love to help roll them out into balls, and love even more eating them!
Stored in the fridge or freezer and these little delightful raw cookie dough bites are a great fast and easy sweet snack! Perfect for the lunchbox, soccer field, or just a quick bite to fulfill that sweet tooth craving.
Vegan Chocolate Covered Cookie Dough Bites
- Add flour to a small microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds and mix, heat for another 30 seconds, and mix, and heat for a final 30 seconds. This should bring your flour up to 165 degrees. To be sure, use an instant read thermometer.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the heated flour, salt, chia seeds, flaxseed and give quick mix.
- Add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to a small bowl or pour spout Pyrek, and whisk.
- Add liquid ingredients to the bowl with flour and mix well until it's all combined into a smooth dough. Add bowl to fridge for a few minutes to slightly cool the flour, otherwise if it's too warm, it may melt your chocolate chips.
- Once cool, fold in chocolate chips.
- Roll out into 12-13 small balls.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!