This Super Easy Coconut Curry Shrimp is full of flavor, has a great spicy kick, and is easy and simple enough for a weeknight meal!
Don't you just love it when you have a craving for something and then you finally stop procrastinating and actually put in the effort to finally make it? And then you realize how stinkin' easy it was to make and that it took no time at all and while you're devouring it you wonder why the hell you waited so long?! Yup. That was totally me with this Super Easy Coconut Shrimp Curry.
I'd been thinking about it for weeks. Weeks! Why did it take me so long to finally make it? I have no idea. Especially since most of the ingredients are so simple!
- Fresh shrimp - Deveined and tails removed. Your seafood counter can usually do this for you to save some time for yourself at home.
- Fresh Onion and Garlic - Staples in our cooking, really.
- Fresh Ginger - You could also use ground ginger, but it wont quite be the same.
Not pictured, the super easy sauce
- Curry powder
- Red Pepper Flakes - See recipe notes for adjustments to your taste
- Fish Sauce - If this isn't already in your fridge, it's one you definitely want to have around for some delicious Asian dishes!
- Coconut Milk - You can use a low fat or a full fat. I prefer the lower fat, but it is oh so rich and creamy with a full fat one, too!
- Peanut Oil - Or another oil, like olive, vegetable, or canola. I like the flavor that the peanut oil adds to this dish, though.
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro - To garnish
Super Easy to Make!
Like the title says, it's super easy! Like busy weeknight, easy. Or crazy screaming kiddos, easy. Or I'm super hangry and need something delicious to eat, easy.
Step 1: Heat oil in skillet and cook onions, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the onions start to caramelize and then add the fish sauce and curry.
Step 2: Add the coconut milk, until it reduces a little, then add the shrimp and cook until pink.
Step 3: Top with fresh cilantro and serve it over some brown basmati rice or some Garlic Naan From Scratch!
YUM. So much flavor in such little time and effort!
Craving successfully fulfilled! Super Easy Coconut Curry Shrimp - definitely on our normal dinner rotation, especially since little M loved it too! I just love introducing her to new flavors and dishes. It's one of the most exciting things to me as a mom, watching her taste flavors and foods for the first time <3
Other Favorite Shrimp Dishes
Super Easy Coconut Curry Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1/2 cup minced onion 1 small to medium sized onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1/4 = very mild 1/2 = mildly spicy 3/4 = spicy 1 =very spicy!
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk I like a lighter version
- 1 ½ t pounds medium-to-large shrimp deveined and peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons fish saucec
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are very tender, but not caramelized. Add the curry and fish sauce and cook, stirring, another minute.
- Raise to medium-high heat and add the coconut milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the coconut milk has cooked down quite a bit. Add the shrimp with salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp release turns pink (the shrimp will release liquid that will add to the sauce).
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately over rice.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!