This Super Easy Coconut Curry Shrimp is full of flavor, has a great spicy kick, and is easy and simple enough for a weeknight meal!
Don't you just love it when you have a craving for something and then you finally stop procrastinating and actually put in the effort to finally make it? And then you realize how stinkin' easy it was to make and that it took no time at all and while you're devouring it you wonder why the hell you waited so long?! Yup. That was totally me with this Super Easy Coconut Shrimp Curry.
I'd been thinking about a shrimp curry for weeks. Weeks! Why did it take me so long to finally make it? I have no idea. Especially since most of the ingredients are so simple!
- Shrimp - Deveined and tails removed. Your seafood counter can usually do this for you to save some time for yourself at home. Fresh or frozen.
- Fresh Onion and Garlic - Staples in our cooking, really.
- Fresh Ginger - You could also use ground ginger, but it wont quite be the same.
- Garam Masala and Curry Powder - The heart of the flavor! Optional: Add a little red pepper flakes for some heat!
- Fish Sauce - No fish sauce? No problem - you can omit it and you will still have a delicious curry. We love the little bit of salty umami it adds to the dish, but it's also optional.
- Coconut Milk - You can use a low fat or a full fat. I prefer the lower fat, but it is oh so rich and creamy with a full fat one, too!
- Peanut Oil - Or another oil, like olive, vegetable, or canola. I like the flavor that the peanut oil adds to this dish, though.
- Salt and Pepper - Just a touch to season.
- Fresh Cilantro - To garnish
Super Easy to Make!
Like the title says, this coconut curry is super easy! Like busy weeknight, easy. Or crazy screaming kiddos, easy. Or I'm super hangry and need something delicious to eat, easy.
Step 1: Cook onions, garlic, and ginger in oil.
Step 2: Add fish sauce, give a mix, and then add garam masala and curry.
Step 3: Add the coconut milk and cook until it reduces a little, then add the shrimp and cook until pink.
And done! Top with fresh cilantro and serve it over some brown basmati rice or (our favorite) some Garlic Naan From Scratch!
YUM. So much flavor in such little time and effort!
Craving successfully fulfilled! Super Easy Coconut Curry Shrimp - definitely on our normal dinner rotation, especially since little M loved it too! I just love introducing her to new flavors and dishes. It's one of the most exciting things to me as a mom, watching her taste flavors and foods for the first time <3.
Other Favorite Shrimp Dishes
Super Easy Coconut Curry Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1/2 cup minced onion 1 small to medium sized onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- pinch - 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 ½ pounds medium-to-large shrimp deveined and peeled
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are very tender, but not caramelized. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce and cook stir, and then add curry, garam masala, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Turn up heat to medium-high and add the coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shrimp turns pink (the shrimp will release liquid that will add to the sauce).
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately over rice.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!