This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
In honor of Turkey Day coming this week (um how did that happen?!) I have this goodie for you guys. Ahh the good ol’ box stuffing mix made on the stove. You all know the classic red box I’m talking about. Staple in our house growing up. Stuffing made in minutes – what could be better? Well, how about a stuffing mix that can be made in advance so you can still have stuffing in just minutes- but from scratch?! Guys… I know. This Copycat Boxed Stuffing Mix From Scratch has just changed my stuffing world because it has all the same convenience with all of the homemade love.
- Stale bread
- Dried parsley
- Minced onion
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Dried sage
- Dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- Dried celery flakes
Truth be told, I made this loaf of bread just for this stuffing. Because really, homemade bread doesn’t stay around in our house long enough to get stale. Since our no knead bread is sooo easy, it was no problem to whip up a loaf. I made this one without the garlic and rosemary, but next time, I think I’ll keep it in for a little added flavor!
So I wish I could say that this recipe could be made with everything you’ll probably already have on hand in your pantry. But if you already have celery flakes in your pantry, then I am impressed! I couldn’t find them anywhere in Portland, but that’s why there’s Amazon Prime 😉
How to Make Copycat Boxed Stuffing Mix?
Add ingredients and mix! Can it get any easier? Honestly, the hardest part of the recipe is waiting for your trusty delivery guy with the celery flakes. Then it’s just cubing the bread, giving them a quick toast in the oven,until finally adding all your spices. Give a good mix and you’ll have the equivalent of two of those red boxes. Store it in an airtight container in the pantry for a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Happy Thanksgiving, friends! May your day be filled with lots of delicious food, loved ones, and hearts full of thanks. I’m sooo incredibly thankful for you all that come and read and share and ultimately encourage us to keep on keeping on with our Served From Scratch journey. Thank you! <3
Copycat Boxed Stuffing Mix From Scratch
- 6 cups cubed day stale bread make your own! https://www.servedfromscratch.com/no-knead-rosemary-garlic-bread/
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 5 tablespoons minced onion make your own! https://www.servedfromscratch.com/onion-soup-mix-from-scratch/
- 1/3 cup dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
To Make the Stuffing from the mix
- 1 1/4 cup water or broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread out cubed bread evenly on a large (or two if needed) baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes until dry.
- Meanwhile, in a plastic bag, mix all the dried seasoning.
- When cubed bread is done, add to either the bag or a bowl and mix well with all of the seasoning. Divide into two containers (ensuring seasoning is well distributed) and store in airtight container in pantry for 1 week or freezer for up to 6 months. Each container will be equivalent to two boxed stuffing boxes - 6 oz.
To Make Stuffing
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add one container of mix (about 3 cups) and stir well. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve. Salt as needed / desired.