Put the box away! Make your own Homemade Pancake Mix From Scratch that you can keep in your cupboard for anytime that pancake craving hits!
After a scorcher of a summer, the mornings are finally cool and crisp, it’s raining (yay!), and Fall is definitely in the air. And I am sooo ready. Bring on the cozy sweaters and comfy boots! Also, there’s something about Fall that brings on the urge to nest and stock the cupboards and break out all of the baking supplies. That must be why I not only had the craving for pancakes (goodbyyyeeeee summer clothes!), but also the desire to make a Homemade Pancake Mix to add to our Sun Dried Cherry Tomatoes, Bread and Butter Pickles, and Zucchini Relish in our summer stockpiling!I’ll keep this short n’ sweet for you all because do you really need to see a picture of what flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt looks like in a bowl? Didn’t think so.
But Real New Hampshire maple syrup on pancakes though? Always.When it comes to making things From Scratch, it doesn’t get much easier than this, truly. Just toss it all in a jar (or even a plastic bag as long as it’s airtight) and you’re good to go. So those mornings that you want homemade pancakes but the thought of making a batter from scratch seems too daunting so you opt for the Bisquick instead, now you can opt for your own pancake mix!
Oh and hey when you’re feeling extra fancy? Bust out some of that Ricotta From Scratch and make some of these Ricotta Pancakes From Scratch with this Homemade Pancake Mix! Or add some blueberries, bananas, walnuts, top it with some strawberries and whip cream… the possibilities are endless! The point is, you don’t need a big yellow box to make some super easy pancakes from scratch. I can’t wait for winter weekend mornings mixing up the rest of this mix into pancakes with little M! 🙂
- 4 cups all purpose flour (substitute whole wheat flour for a healthier version!)
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Whisk together all of the ingredients and store in a jar or plastic bag - as long as it's airtight!
- 1 cup of mix
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (2% or Whole)
- Whisk until smooth. Heat a griddle and grease with butter or non stick spray. Ladle out mix on hot griddle and cook until bubbles form. Flip carefully and cook another minute or two on second side until golden brown. Serve immediately!
- 1 cup mix
- 1 cup ricotta cheese* (drained)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine ricotta, milk, egg yolks, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Add the mix plus the sugar and to the ricotta and milk mixture, stirring gently until just combined.
- Beat the egg whites with a handheld electric mixer until stiff. Stir a small scoop of the egg whites into the pancake batter to lighten the batter, then fold in the remaining egg white with a spatula.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat. Melt a small bit of butter in the pan, just enough to coat the surface. Pour batter onto the hot griddle. Cook the pancakes for about 3 or 4 minutes, until the undersides are golden and you see a few bubbles popping through the pancakes. Flip the pancakes and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until golden. Repeat with the remaining pancakes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- 1 cup serves 4
- *Make your own Ricotta Cheese From Scratch! http://www.servedfromscratch.com/ricotta-cheese-from-scratch/