Kick up your homemade cinnamon roll game by using a sourdough starter and making these delicious, sweet, sticky, Sourdough Walnut Cinnamon Rolls from scratch!
There are some things that you just cannot say no to. Seriously, no matter the day, time, or star alignment, it is impossible to say no to a fresh out of the oven cinnamon roll. How hard is it to walk by the Cinnabon in the mall? It's torture. Luckily you can have these Sourdough Walnut Cinnamon Rolls in your home. Homemade, coated with a delicious sweet frosting, and they're topped with candied walnuts. No driving to the mall required!
These homemade cinnamon rolls do take a little extra time, don't be worried about the 8 hr prep time- that's just because after you mix the dough you pop it in the fridge overnight for them to develop that delicious sourdough flavor before rolling it out and then slicing it into rolls.
The dough itself is an easy roll and fill with a cinnamon and sugar mixture then sliced into delightful little rounds. Then, and now this is key to the stickiness and candied walnuts, you line a baking dish with a sugary walnut mixture before placing the cinnamon rolls on top.
Baked for about 20-25 minutes.
Flop those bad boys over so the sweet sticky candied walnuts are on top.
then drizzle the final bit of cinnamon roll
crack frosting on top, and then invite some friends over to help save you from devouring these Sourdough Walnut Cinnamon Rolls all in one sitting. Trust me, that's the true torture!
Other Sweet Brunch Treats
- Easy Homemade Apple Fritters
- Butterscotch Snickerdoodle Bread
- Glazed Chocolate Munchkins
- Classic Banana Walnut Bread
- Banana Waffles
- German Apple Pancake
- Banana Maple Munchkins
Sourdough Walnut Cinnamon Rolls
- 9X13 baking dish
- 1 cup Herman or sourdough starter
- 3/4 c 2% heated milk 1 minute in microwave
- 2 tablespoons salted butter room temperature
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 C melted butter
- 1/2 C walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- Mix all of the dough ingredients together in a bowl, cover, and let rest overnight.
- In the morning, when ready to bake, pre-heat oven to 350°. Prep a 9 X 13 baking dish by mixing together the walnut topping and then line the bottom of the baking dish with the mixture.
- Roll and stretch the dough into a 15 X 24 rectangle. Mix the cinnamon mixture together. Brush melted butter (as a part of the cinnamon filling) over the dough, the sprinkle the cinnamon mixture on top of the butter. Then starting at the long edge, roll up the dough, but don't roll too tightly, otherwise the cinnamon roll centers will rise above the rest of the roll while they bake.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven, let cool for a couple of minutes, then turn pan upside down on to a parchment paper lined baking pan and 'plop' rolls onto the pan so that the walnut mixture is now on top.
- Mix the water and vanilla for the frosting, and whisk into the powdered sugar for the frosting and drizzle onto rolls as desired.