Kick up your cinnamon roll game by using a sourdough starter and making these Sourdough Walnut Cinnamon Rolls from scratch!
There are some things that you just cannot say no to. Seriously, no matter the day, time, or star alignment, it is impossible to say no to a fresh out of the oven cinnamon roll. How hard is it to walk by the Cinnabon in the mall? It’s torture. But these Sourdough Walnut Cinnamon Rolls, they’re not only homemade and from scratch, but they’re made with our sourdough starter, Herman, and they’re topped with candied walnuts and a delicious sweet frosting. Dare I say, significantly better than any cinnamon roll you’ll find in a mall. ‘Cause really, isn’t homemade always better?These guys do take a little extra time, don’t be worried about the 8 hr prep time- that’s just because after you mix the dough you pop it in the fridge over night for them to develop that delicious sourdough flavor.
The dough itself is an easy roll and fill with a cinnamon sugar mixture then sliced and placed in a sweet walnut mixture to bake for about 20-25 minutes.Flop those bad boys over so the sweet candied walnuts are on top,then drizzle the final bit of cinnamon roll
crack frosting on top, and then invite some friends over to help save you from devouring these Sourdough Walnut Cinnamon Rolls all in one sitting. Trust me, it’s a legitimate struggle. 😉
- 1 C Herman(or sourdough starter)
- 3/4 C milk (heated approximately 1 minute in microwave)
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant active dry yeast
- Cinnamon Filling
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Walnut Topping
- 1/4 C melted butter
- 1/2 C walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 C powdered (confectioners') sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- Mix all of the dough ingredients together in a bowl, cover, and let rest overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Prep a 9 X 13 baking dish. Mix together the walnut topping and then line the bottom of the baking dish with the mixture.
- In the morning, roll and stretch the dough into a 15 X 24 rectangle. Mix the cinnamon mixture together. Brush melted butter (as a part of the cinnamon filling) over the dough, the sprinkle the cinnamon mixture on top of the butter. The starting at the long edge, roll up the dough, but don't roll too tightly, otherwise the cinnamon roll centers will rise above the rest of the roll while they bake.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven, let cool for a couple of minutes, then turn pan upside down on to a parchment paper lined baking pan and 'plop' rolls onto the pan so that the walnut mixture is now on top.
- Mix the water and vanilla for the frosting, and whisk into the powdered sugar for the frosting and drizzle onto rolls as desired.