This Spinach, Ham, and Cheddar Quiche is the perfect breakfast, brunch, or dinner meal. It's incredibly easy to make and is the perfect way to use up some leftover ham!
I don't know where it came from or why, but I had a serious hankering for some quiche. Specifically a Spinach, Ham, and Cheddar Quiche.
The first, a pie dough. We usually keep a dough or two in our freezer for instances just like this! You could also totally use a pre-made dough from the grocery store, but I personally think that there's nothing like a homemade dough!
The rest, it doesn't get much easier.
- Leftover ham
- Fresh Spinach - a fresh bunch or about 12 oz. You can use frozen spinach, but you have to be sure that it is thawed and drained.
- Cheddar cheese - extra sharp is our favorite!
- Garlic and Onion
- Salt and Pepper
First Step: Prep your crust by lining your dough in a pie dish, trimming the edges and giving it a quick 10 minute pre-bake. This is called the Blind Bake and it's what helps prevent your crust from becoming soggy.
Second Step: Saute the onion, garlic, and ham.
Third Step: Whisk together eggs, milk, and salt and pepper.
Fourth Step: Add whisked eggs to pie dish with crust and then add spinach, ham, onions, and cheddar cheese.
Fifth Step: Bake!
Spinach, Ham, and Cheddar Quiche deliciousness. Ham, cheddar, spinach, and cheese all baked into a buttery flaky pie crust? Yes, please!
This had become not only one of our go-to leftover ham recipes, but also egg recipes!
Other Favorite Egg Dishes
That means you didn't do a blind bake! Pre-baking your crust will help prevent this.
You need to be sure you're pre-cooking your veggies that you're adding to release their liquid. Otherwise they will release the liquid into your lovely quiche!
Definitely! Just make sure you cook them first!
Yup! Just butter (grease) your pie dish well and sprinkle with some cheese before adding eggs and fillings.
Yes, just be sure to thaw and drain it.
Spinach, Ham, and Cheddar Quiche
- 1 cup cubed cooked thick cut ham
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch of cleaned spinach 12 oz
- 1/2 cup of diced white onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 -2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup milk 2% is our preferred but you can use whatever you have.
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup slightly chilled salted butter, cubed see notes for unsalted
- 1/2 tsp salt
Make Pie Crust
- Sift flour, add salt, and then cut in the butter until dough is a consistency similar to bread crumbs. Slowly add the cold water and once combined shape into a smooth ball (don't over work), wrap in foil, and put in fridge to cool / rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Blind bake the crust. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. After 30 minutes, remove from fridge and roll out into a large circular shape on a floured surface. Gently place the dough over and into a 9 inch 1 1/4 inch deep pie pan (standard size) and then cut off excess around the edges. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add garlic and onions to a saute pan with olive oil. Saute until onions are translucent. Add ham and then spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.
- In a large bowl, add eggs and milk and whisk vigorously. Then add ham, onions, and spinach and mix, then add cheese and mix all together.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the pre-baked pie crust and then add to oven. Bake for 40-50 minutes until middle is done and set. Edges should be browned, center set but still a little jiggly. Let cool for at least 10 minutes and then enjoy!