These Strawberries and Cream Scones are perfect for any brunch and to celebrate all of those gorgeous summer strawberries!
Isn’t it wonderful all of the socially acceptable ways there are to eat dessert for breakfast? Like pancakes! They are literally pan fried cakes smothered in syrup. Scones? They’re basically a single serving biscuit-esq pastry. Which is what makes them so delightful! These Strawberries and Cream Scones with a simple glaze just scream outdoor summer mimosa brunch!
It’s strawberry season, friends! Get down to your local farmers market and just soak in all of the amazing fresh strawberries! In our neck of the woods we have the most amazing Hood Strawberries, an Oregon gem. Large, sweet, and soooo delicious. Perfect for these scones – which I had to attempt to make multiple times because when there’s fresh strawberries in our house, I have to bake with them quickly before my strawberry loving toddler and husband eat them all!
Now when it comes to scores, I don’t trust a recipe that doesn’t use butter. And a good amount of it. Don’t get me wrong, there are some delicious vegan recipes out there that use coconut oil, but they’re “Scones,” not scones. 😉
With that said, you also have to make sure you cut in your butter, too. That’s key to getting that right flaky crumbly scone texture. I love this pastry cutter for proper butter and flour cutting.
Next, you also don’t want to over mix the final mixture, just make sure it’s all incorporated.
Then roll it out in a large 8 inch round and cut them into 8 triangles.
Brushed with a light egg wash and baked for about 18-20 minutes,
topped with a simple glaze and boom. Strawberry and Cream Scones!
And if these Strawberry and Cream Scones don’t scream Brunch to you, then I don’t know what kind of brunch you’re eating, but I want none of it. Kidding… kind of. 😛
These are definitely on my Make Again Once The Baby is Born and Enjoy with a Mimosa list. Yes, that is a list and it’s getting longer every day. This mama’s ready for a proper mimosa brunch!
Other Sweet Brunch TreatsEasy Homemade Apple Fritters Butterscotch Snickerdoodle Bread Glazed Chocolate Munchkins Ricotta Pancakes Sourdough Walnut Cinnamon Rolls Banana Waffles Classic Banana Walnut Bread Maple Apple Nut Bread
Happy dessert-ing for breakfast, friends!
Strawberry and Cream Scones
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup un-salted butter very cold
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cleaned and cut in to quarters
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract https://www.servedfromscratch.com/vanilla-extract-from-scratch/
- pinch salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and prep a large baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut the butter into cubes and add to bowl. Cut in using a pastry cutter or a fork until it's all incorporated and is like a coarse meal.
- In a medium bowl whisk egg and add milk and cream. Slowly add to large bowl and mix gently, just enough to incorporate it all and it's all moistened.
- Gently fold in strawberries with a large spatula.
- On a large clean and flour surface, add dough. Gently knead it a couple of times and then roll or shape it into an 8 in round. Cut into 8 even triangles.
- Add triangles to the parchment lined baking sheet a brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until they are a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool. While they cool, make glaze by mixing heavy cream, confectioner's sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Drizzle over scones and enjoy!