This Watermelon Vodka Mint Salad is a cooling, refreshing, summer salad that’s fresh and minty and perfect for just the adults!
You know it's officially summer time when the stores are filled with big, juicy, delicious watermelons and I just love watermelon. When I was a kid, my mom would cut off a big chunk of the end for me, set me up outside on a picnic table in our yard, and I'd happily eat away at it with a spoon. This Watermelon Vodka Mint Salad though, is definitely not for kids but brings out just as much joy!
Literally, 5 ingredients. It truly does not get any easier than this.
- Fresh watermelon
- Fresh orange juice (or sub the juice you have in your fridge!)
- Fresh mint
- Vodka - anything you have! We are obsessed lately with this local PNW comapny Headwind Vodka.
- Kosher Salt
How to Pick the Perfect Watermelon
There is nothing worse than getting a watermelon home, cutting into it and realizing it's a dud, am I right? Well here are a few friendly tips for making sure you pick out the perfect melon!
Ripe: Look for a watermelon that's dark in color and dull.
Sweet and Full of Flavor: Look for the watermelon that's uniform in size, heavy, has some large "webbing" on it, and if it has an orange field spot, these are all good signs!
Unripe: These watermelons will look kind of shiny.
Bland, watery, and lacking in flavor: These are going to be elongated in size, have smaller webbing, and have a white field spot.
How to Make:
Once you have you perfect watermelon, then it's just a dice of the watermelon, toss it with mint, and then add your vodka, OJ, and salt.
Let it chill for about an hour before serving for best flavor. But, if you're in a pinch (like we have been) whip it together and serve it - it'll still be delicious!
And DONE. It's the perfect fun, ADULT, side dish for any summer gathering!
Adjust to Your Taste!
Switch it up for your taste! You can adjust this salad for anything you're feeling. Cut the vodka and up the OJ for a lil weaker pour of a salad- no prob. Make it uber minty? Cool, fresh breath side! REALLY want to party? Nice add more vodka and then get those last pieces of watermelon that have been soaking in the vodka!
You do you with this salad!
Serve it With:
Some of our other favorite Summer Sides!
It's easy to make. Comes together in minutes and has the potential to be the life of the party all while being fresh and delicious!
Watermelon Vodka Mint Salad
- 7-8 cups watermelon cut into cubes about 1/2 large watermelon
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- pinch kosher salt or more to taste
- Cut watermelon in half then cube and put into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, juice orange and add vodka. Pour vodka and juice mixture over watermelon, mix, sprinkle pinch of salt, mix, and add chopped mint and do one final mix.
- Add more mint / salt to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour then serve!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!