These Grilled Parmesan Garlic Tomatoes are the perfect unique summer dish! They're an easy-to-make, fast, gluten-free appetizer or side proving that everything's better with grill marks and cheese!
Ok, I know I say this every year, but how is it that summers are sooo incredibly busy?! Despite the extra sunlight, it just seems like there aren't enough hours in the day! The house is a disaster. The fridge is a barren wasteland. The laundry overflow-eth. Cue our new favorite summer recipe: Grilled Parmesan Garlic Tomatoes!
Fresh tomatoes - This summer we grew some beautiful San Marzano tomatoes which are perfect for this recipe.
Fresh Garlic - Don't let my recipe tell you how much to use, you measure that with your heart!
Parmesan cheese - This is one of our favorites to use, but you could also use Romano, Asiago, Mozzarella, or a mixture of any of them!
Olive Oil - Or your other favorite neutral-flavored oil.
Seasonings: Onion powder, Garlic powder (because is there ever too much garlic?), Rosemary, Salt, and Pepper. See recipe notes for using fresh vs. dried.
Best Tomatoes to Use
Our favorites for this recipe are Plum Tomatoes (also known as Paste Tomatoes or Romas). This is because they have low moisture, fewer seeds, and denser flesh which means you can just slice in half and toss on the grill and they'll hold up to the heat.
The best varieties to use:
- San Marzano
- Amish Paste
- Viva Italia
- Big Mama
- Golden Mama
- Cherokee Purple Tomato
- Brandy Sweet Plum
Basically, stay away from big and juicy tomatoes. While perfect for many other recipes, they won't work for this one.
Easy to Make
This recipe is so easy. Which duh, it's summer, all recipes should be quick and easy. This recipe is no exception.
Step 1: Sauté garlic, with rosemary, onion powder, and salt and pepper.
Step 2: : Add those sliced beautiful tomatoes on the grill, sliced side down first and then flip.
Step 3: Generously brush those grilled tomatoes with the olive oil garlic deliciousness.
Step 4: Then finally finish them with a generous amount of fresh grated Parmesan cheese!
Grilled Parmesan Garlic Tomatoes! Ease-AY Pease-AY. A delightful appetizer, snack, or side for a summer dinner!
Serve it With
While the grills hot, why not serve it with some of our other Grilled favorites?
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Breasts
- 10 Minute Spicy Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Grilled Boneless Pork Chops
- Cornell Chicken
- Spicy Beef Kabobs
Other Favorite Summer Sides
- Avocado Pasta Salad
- Avocado Corn Salsa
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Asian Sesame Ginger Slaw
- German Dill Potato Salad
Happy Summer grilling!
Grilled Parmesan Garlic Tomatoes
- 10 San Marzano Tomatoes halved
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 - 1 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Pre-heat grill to medium low.
- Add tomatoes, sliced side down, onto grill. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until light grill marks begin to show.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a saute pan, add garlic, salt, onion powder, pepper, and rosemary. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant, stirring often ensuring that the garlic doesn't burn. Remove from heat and add to a small bowl and set aside.
- Gently flip each tomato half and generously brush with garlic oil mixture and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Close grill and finish cooking for another 7-10 minutes until cheese is fully melted.
- Gently remove from grill and serve immediately.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!