I don't know what it is but I am all about sweet and spicy, lately! These 20 Minute Sweet and Spicy Noodles are so easy and so spicy with a lovely touch of sweetness. As my husband described it, they're damn delicious. After the success of our Sweet and Spicy Sriracha Chicken Thighs, I knew I wanted to use a similar sauce for some spicy noodles. And the hubby was right, damn did it turn out delicious!
These sweet and spicy noodles are a fast and easy dinner to make with simple, easy ingredients.
- Rice Noodles - We used a thicker cut rice noodle, but you could also use a thinner one, or a pasta noodle. If using pasta, be sure to cook it to al dente, first. Also, if you have a local Asian market nearby, check that out for rice noodles. You'll be able to find not only a greater variety, but they'll also be much more affordable than the brands you'll find at your big grocery store.
- Garlic - A staple in our cooking!
- The Sauce - Honey, Hoisen, Soy Sauce, Sriracha, Garlic chili paste, and Red Pepper Flakes.
- Sesame Oil - Or another oil or fat to add to the pan like butter or peanut oil.
- Garnishes - Peanuts, Shredded Carrots, Green Onions, and fresh Cilantro.
Tips: Add in some protein of choice or some other veggies!
By the way, if you haven't made your own Homemade Hoisin Sauce yet, try it. I promise you won't regret it!
Step 1: Whisk together the ingredients for your sauce.
The sauce as I made it is definitely spicy. But you can tamper it down with less red pepper if you want just more of a hint of spice. My husband and I prefer more of a face punch of spice, especially to balance out the sweetness of the sauce is. M is definitely her father's daughter and she too loved how spicy these were. She even asked for more Sriracha on her plate! Talk about proud mama moment!
Step 2: Cook your noodles. This will depend on the noodles that you use. You can use a rice noodle or a regular pasta noodle, follow the instructions on the package of whatever noodles you use. Now if you're using a thinner rice noodle, then you won't cook them by just adding them to boiling water. Like how we make our 15 Minute Garlic Fried Noodles.
Step 3: Heat the oil in your pan and add your sauce.
Step 4: Add your noodles to the hot pan with the sauce and stir to coat the noodles.
Step 5: Add your garnishes.
Then enjoy! Winner winner 20 Minute Sweet and Spicy Noodles dinner!
I usually gauge how good a meal is by how long the leftovers last. When my husband said they don't last past breakfast the next day, I knew they were really freakin' good. These are right up there with our 15 minute Garlic Fried Noodles and now that I know M has a deep love for Sriracha like her parents, we'll definitely be making these spicy noodles on the regular.
More Noodle Recipes
Asian Inspired Dishes
- Homemade Crispy Sesame Chicken
- Sweet and Spicy Sriracha Chicken Thighs
- Maple Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs
- Sweet Sesame Ginger Meatballs
Whatever you have! Rice noodles or pasta, any work great with this dish. Rice noodles just require sitting in boiling water to cook, while pasta noodles will take longer - although Fresh Pasta from scratch will take much less time to cook. Follow the instructions on the package for the noodle of your choice.
Rice noodles are usually sold in the Asian section of your larger grocery store. Although you can also buy them online, or (and the best option) is to find a local Asian market. There they will have a ton of variety, all at a much better price!
Absolutely! We especially love this with shrimp and will cook the shrimp first in sesame oil, with the garlic. You could also use chicken or tofu, too.
Of COURSE. This dish is great with whatever veggies you have! You can give them a sauté in the sesame oil to cook them, or add them as a garnish like the carrots.
Happy Noodling, friends!
20 Minute Sweet and Spicy Noodles
- 16 oz linguine rice noodles or regular pasta
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup sesame oil*
- 2 cups shredded carrots approximately 2 large
- 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- Sriracha to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook noodles until al dente, approximately 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep your veggies / garnishes. In a small bowl mix soy sauce, hoisin, honey, chili garlic paste, and red pepper flakes.
- A couple of minutes before the noodles are done, in a large saute pan, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds. Be sure it doesn't burn! Add sauce and stir.
- When noodles are done, drain and add immediately to pan with sauce and stir until the noodles are well coated.
- Top with carrots, peanuts, cilantro, green onion, and Sriracha. Mix and serve!
Recipe adapted from The Chunky Chef
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!