This 10 Minute Garlic Kale is so incredibly easy to make, is incredibly healthy, and will make the perfect side dish to any meal! It’s a family favorite!
Well, we’re just a few months away! 120 days until the Hubs swims 2.4 miles, bikes 112 miles, and runs a freakin’ marathon for his first IronMan! So we’re preparing with a whole lot o’ extra healthy eating and have since discovered our new favorite side dish, this 10 Minute Garlic Kale!
Just 5 Ingredients
Yup, that’s it! It comes together in 10 minutes and it’s only 5 ingredients!
- Fresh Kale – We prefer Curly Kale, which is the one you’re most likely to find in your grocery store, but your local farmers market may have some other varieties like Tuscan Kale, Red Russian Kale, or Siberian Kale. This recipe is great for any variety!
- Fresh Garlic – Calling all garlic lovers! This recipe is for you!
- Olive Oil – Extra Virgin if you have it but any would work. You could also sub butter, but the EVOO is a healthier optio.
- Salt – We prefer to use Kosher Salt for this recipe but you can use whatever you have.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes – This is optional but we love the little added flavor kick it brings to the dish.
10 Minutes! That’s all you need, which is why this is one of our favorite weeknight side dishes.
- Wash kale and then remove from stems and chop
- Slice or mince garlic
- Add oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes to a large saute pan and cook for a minute.
- Add kale and saute until leaves are soft and wilted.
- Use Tongs – this is the best way to turn your kale while it’s sauteing.
- Watch the garlic! – It only takes a minute to cook on it’s own, just enough time for it to become fragrant. Be careful you don’t burn it.
- Add some onion! – This will add a few minutes to the cooking time, but sometimes we like to add sliced white or yellow onion to this dish, too!
Other Favorite Side Dishes
Great Dishes to Serve With
So here you have it, friends. A delicious, vitamin K packed side dish that’s not only on our IronMan training menu but also on regular rotation even after the race is over.
10 Minute Garlic Kale
- 2 bunches of kale ripped, washed, and dried
- 4-5 garlic cloves sliced thin or minced
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oil in large saute pan on medium. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant.
- Turn heat up to medium high and add kale, mixing it with tongs to coat it with olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Saute until kale wilts and turns a deep green, approximately 7 minutes. Season with salt, give another good mix, and serve.