Perfect for fall, this newly updated Crock Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup From Scratch is cheesy, creamy, and dreamy but without any store-bought canned goods. Instead, it's packed full of fresh broccoli and cheese!
Is there anything more comforting than a big bowl full of creamy, cheesy soup? Definitely not. Even better is when it only takes a couple of minutes to throw together like this Crock Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup From Scratch!
My mom is visiting from New Hampshire this week and since I need to still work, I want to make sure that dinner is mostly done and easy for maximum time to visit. Crock Pot to the rescue!
Fresh ingredients and as much from scratch as possible, pretty standard for recipes made in our house.
- Cheese - We prefer sharp cheddar for this but you could also use a milk cheddar. Or even a white cheddar or extra sharp.
- Broccoli - We prefer fresh, but you could definitely sub frozen florets, too. No need to thaw, just toss 'em right in.
- Fresh Carrot, Onion, and Garlic - For added flavor. We use white onions, but yellow would also be great.
- Chicken Stock - Or Vegetable Stock if you want to keep it vegetarian friendly. Either works great. Have you made your own Chicken Stock From Scratch or Vegetable Stock From Scratch, yet?
- Butter, Milk, and Flour - To create a roux for the cheese sauce.
- Seasoning - Salt, pepper, and celery salt.
As with a lot of our Crock Pot meals, this one is easy!
Step 1: Add all of the broccoli, onion, carrots, garlic, and seasonings to your trusty Crock Pot with the stock, and slow cook!
Step 2: Once it's done, use either an immersion blender, blender, or Vitamix to blend your cooked veggies creamy.
Step 3: On the stovetop, make a roux and thick cheese sauce. This is the crucial step of making a creamy cheese soup that ensures that the cheese is well incorporated into the whole soup.
In an effort to save dishes and effort, we've tried adding the cheese directly to the blended soup, but it just isn't the same for ensuring creaminess.
Step 4: Once you have that well blended, thick cheese sauce, add it to your blended broccoli cheese soup.
We do like to add just a little extra shredded cheese, too! Just for good measure. Because is there anything wrong with just a little added cheese. Crock Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup From Scratch!
A little more cheese (because again, why not) and then a touch of parsley, served with fresh homemade bread, and you have an easy dinner that's perfect for a busy weeknight. Especially when you want to be able to maximize Grandma's snuggle and book reading time.
Other Favorite Fall Soups
Roasted Parsnip and Potato Soup
Crock Pot Beef Pho From Scratch
Cream of Mushroom Soup From Scratch
French Onion Soup From Scratch
Serve it With
Easy Buttermilk Cheddar Cornbread
Easy Dinner Rolls From Scratch
No Knead Rosemary Garlic Bread
Enjoy! As always, if you make this recipe or any of my others, I love to hear what you think! Leave a comment below, email me, or you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
If you want to see more, be sure to sign up for my 5 Easy Ways to Start Cooking From Scratch!
Crock Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup From Scratch
- 1 1/2 lb fresh broccoli cut into florets about 5 cups, or 13 oz of florets
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk 2% - half and half
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- fresh parsley garnish
- Add broccoli, onion, carrot, garlic, salt, pepper, celery salt, and chicken stock to a Crock Pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hrs or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Once done, use an immersion blender, blender, or Vitamix and blend soup until creamy. Return to Crock Pot on low.
- In a small sauce pan on stovetop, heat butter over medium and sprinkle on flour. Whisk as butter melts to create a roux. Once all the butter is melted and flour incorporated, slowly add milk and whisk. Slowly add shredded cheese and whisk until well combined into a thick cheese sauce. Reserve 1/4-1/2 cup of cheese.
- Add cheese sauce to soup and give a gentle mix. Add some of the reserved cheese and give another mix.
- Serve in soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley and some shredded cheese.
I was wondering what I was going to do with that extra head of broccoli that's in the fridge. This recipe would be ideal. I'm glad your directions are for a crock pot instead of on Instant Pot. The addition of the cheese looks like it really gives the soup that extra zip of flavor. Great sounding recipe.
LOL, I love how your mom snuck cheese home! I would totally do that! There are SO many yummy things Canadian Costco doesn't carry that American Costcos do. I made my own broccoli cheddar at home today but didn't think to add cream of celery. I'll have to try that and see how it tastes! Is it to make it smoother?
I think it does - and a little more depth of flavor! And Ooooh I wonder if there are things that Canadian Costco carries that I'll be interested in! 😉
Lisa | Garlic & Zest
With everything that you cook, you absolutely DESERVE a VitaMix! Seriously. I do have one -- and this soup has just risen to the top of my to do list. Love the dump and go nature of any crock pot soup -- and the combo of veggies, cheese and your amazing cream of celery soup just sounds like the most cozy bowl of 'nom! Enjoy the special time with your grandmother and congratulations on your new job!!!
Thank you so much, Lisa! 😀
I LOVE that you can make this broccoli cheddar soup in the slow cooker or a Vitamix! It definitely doesn't get much easier than that! And it's so comforting too! I can't wait to make a big batch this weekend and eat it throughout the week.
I am a crock pot lover. No IP for me. This recipe is just what we need for ALL the snow days we are having. Nothing better to warm up with after shoveling than a nice hot bowl of homemade soup.
Yes! It's the main thing I use the IP for!
Amy | The Cook Report
I love how easy it is to make this, it's such a simple and comforting dinner
Exactly what you need to warm up in the winter!
This looks delicious. I love broccoli and cheddar soup but have never made it myself.
I'll have to check out your from scratch cream soup recipe. I love broccoli cheddar soup!
sue | the view from great island
I love love love this, for one thing you used my all time favorite cheese, and the crock pot makes it all so easy...making this for the big game this weekend 🙂
I love vegetable and cheese soups and this one looks full of flavour with all those homemade ingredients!